Distributed Energy Resources: Challenges and Opportunities for Ontario
• Evolution of distributed energy resources (DERs)
• Challenges and opportunities that DER development present to the IESO as the bulk system operator
• Overview of work the IESO is doing to understand and address barriers to DER integration in Ontario markets/electricity system
• Removing barriers to DERs/new technologies to provide necessary grid-level electricity services Storage Microgrids
• How Ontario compares to other jurisdictions in terms of innovation in its electricity sector (in support of reliability, affordability, community choice, sustainability
Bio: Katherine Sparkes is the Director of Innovation, Research and Development team within the IESO where she is responsible for driving initiatives in support of grid modernization and the removal of barriers to private sector investment in solutions that support the reliability, adequacy and affordability of Ontario’s electricity supply. Her team works with partners across the energy sector and beyond to understand emerging technologies, services, practices and policies that will help meet Ontario’s current and future electricity needs. Katherine previously held various leadership roles in Conservation and Demand Management leading the design of award-winning Conservation and Demand Management (CDM) programs. Katherine has worked in the consulting and non-profit sectors and taught at the Energy & Infrastructure Program at Osgoode Hall Law School. Katherine is an Urban Planner by training.